Jun 9 2012
Are you a driven person who loves listening and playing the hottest beats? Do you have a love music and dance? Do you want to be considered one of the top djs of the entertainment business?
To maximize the progression of your music between tracks, you will need to create an atmosphere with a great deal of good energy, so that can make people dance all night long.
Once you make a decision that you want pursue a career in music and djing, then you must set up a budget for the equipment you need to purchase for your business. Choosing equipment will take patience and some work on your part, but if you follow this guide, then you will have no problem finding the right equipment for your business. To ensure that you make the best choice, you must take the time to inspect each type of equipment.
There are three different types of top djs, let’s take a look at them:
- Vinyl Djs spin records.
- CD djs use cd’s
- Digital djs use Mp3 and Mp4 files.
Top djs of the music business use intricate and complex equipment, but as a beginner dj, you will need to know how the basic equipment works and what to look for. In this article, we will take a look at these 4 items:
- 2 Turntables
- 1 Mixer
- High quality headphones
- A pair of active PA speakers
Once you have your budget set up, break it down to see how much you want to spend on each piece of equipment. We recommend spending up to $3000 dollars. Before you make any purchase, make sure you test out each piece. You can also look into Craigslist and Backpage for used equipment. The top djs of today use the best of the best equipment. To be considered one of the top djs of the music industry, you should practice every day with intensity and immense amount of focus. Here is a list of the equipment you will need to purchase:
1. Vinyl Turntables: There are two types of turntables to choose from, direct drive and belt driven. The best turntable on the market today is the Technics 1200/1210.
- Direct Drive (DD): Use motors instead of belts to provide the best torque. The torque allows the turntable to speed up faster, without making sounds.
- Belt Driven: The belts after time stretch and cause the vinyl to sound distorted. Avoid the belt driven turntables at all cost!
2. The Mixer: A mixer allows a DJ to connect their turntables to a set of speakers. As a dj you will be able to control the sounds from each turntable and mix them in the right manner. The best mixer on the market is the DJM-800 and it will run you close to $1,700, if you don’t have enough you can pick up the DJM-400 for about $800.
3. DJ Headphones: Headphones are a must buy; try looking for a wide range frequency upwards to 20,000 hz. Bose offers some amazing headphones, you can also check out Dr. Dre’s beats, but it needs to be a professional and also comfortable.
4. Active PA Speakers: These speakers are meant to be loud! Shoot for active because they have an amplifier and a power supply built in, making set up and break down easy.
Keep practicing, and work extra hard to be discovered as a top dj, soon enough your hard work will pay off! Keep an eye out for DJ Tips 101: What equipment you need as an advanced DJ, as well as for DJ Tips 101: How to DJ off your computer and IPhone. Good luck on your new venture.